Monday, August 31, 2015

Unity

Unity

I wanted
oh how I truly wanted
to do this little thing called
change the world

I thought about it much too
much it seemed to suffocate me
from doing anything of true importance

but sure this noble task was important
for it consumed me

I ignored my friends, ignored
my family, ignored my teachers,
ignored myself and my needs
with all my greed I pushed
everyone near to me away

I was headstrong

I was wrong

everything was in my head

change doesn't live in a
pent-up day dream

to change the world takes
guts takes class takes
time takes patience takes
community but also unity.

Houghton's Pond

Inspired by Woody Shaw's album Unity:

This post marks one year of writing a poem a day!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on one year of writing a poem a day! Impressive.

    ReplyDelete