Sunday, April 19, 2015

I wanted to change the world

I wanted to change the world

I wanted to change the world
that's all I ever wanted to do
I thought about it night and day
it haunted my dreams
I always felt
restless
anxious
nervous
to be doing something of
importance
I would go so far as to
make posters and hang them
up all over my room
inspirational quotes galore
I would write in journals
with bubbly star-eyed letters
and make lists upon lists upon lists
I would find people and tell them
my plans and how pertinent they were
and how I needed help
I had this seed of an idea
and always yearned for the water to
grow it into a tree
so something was missing
as something always is
from making the world change overnight
so I thought and I thought and I got so
caught up in the thought that nothing ever did change
until one day where I was planning away and I
remarked upon myself so lonely so sad so needy
oh how the posters meant nothing to the eye
if it wasn't I who could do something more
to change the world is to start by changing
yourself and to change yourself is to start by
changing the world
that's all I ever wanted to do.

My sketch of Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea

Inspired by Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock playing duo at Symphony Hall on April 12th.



No comments:

Post a Comment