Thursday, November 5, 2015

Confrontation

Confrontation

I passed three hundred people today
just walking through town
maybe even one thousand
in my eyes, a singular viewpoint

the mother with a child tugging
for attention - Mom! Mom! Mom!

the teenage couple
laughing and starry-eyed - Isn't
that so funny? Right? Oh my!

the middle-aged
man tense and anxious - Oh no,
I have ten more years until retirement!

the young girl
oblivious and impatient - Why do I
have to go to this class? I just want to sleep!

the homeless man, tired and
forlorn - Change? Spare change?

all echoing each footstep, hurried,
marked with caution, nervousness

Who are these people?
Oh no, I better not run into that man.
Let me just walk on this side of the street.
Oh, what's next on my schedule?

and so it goes
passing by
as I pass myself
each day
just hoping to get by
without confrontation.


Please visit my jazz education website, Kind of Pink and Purple, where I create a multimedia resource for young adults to learn about jazz. 

Please subscribe to Without a Poem by email (top right of the page) and follow both Kind of Pink and Purple and Without a Poem on other social media: TwitterTumblrInstagramGoogle PlusPinterest

Since September 2015, I have been the JazzBoston newsletter writer/ editor. Please sign up for the monthly newsletter to learn more about the Boston jazz scene. 


No comments:

Post a Comment